What is Call Lightning?
The Call Lightning is a third Level conjuration spell. Conjuration spells are spells that basically alter the position of things. It transports objects and creatures and energy from one place to another. Oftentimes, it transports the object or creature to the caster or away from them to the specified destination. Since this spell is a third-level spell, it will need a third-level spell slot to cast. However, when they are cast with a spell slot of a higher level, they deal greater damage because they become even more powerful.
Call Lightning 5e Statistics
It is important to get a player’s handbook. If you don’t already have one, you can get it through this link. If you need the Players handbook with DND dice and a complete printable kit-DND core rule book all in one pack, click this link. This will save you some cash than having to buy them separately but you will have to pay more upfront. However, if you don’t have the funds at this time to purchase one, we got you covered as we will supply you with the most important statistics for the Call Lightning ⚡ spell excerpted from the Player’s handbook. See also the DND spellbook cards and the campaign Journal
Spell Level: Third level
Casting Time; 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes.
Damaging effect: Lightning
Target: A point in the air where a storm cloud could appear 100 feet directly above you.
Understanding the Call Lightning Statistics
The Call Lightning spell is a third-level conjuration spell that is available to the Druids https://mydndguru.com/druidic-language-dd-5e/. Druids are spell casters, warriors, and healers all determined to protect the world around them and the sanctity of their ancient order. They speak the druidic language. The Call Lightning spell is a concentration spell. This means that the caster should be undisturbed else the spell will end. If for some reason the spell caster loses concentration, the spell’s effect will be lost.
What are the requirements of using this spell?
Every spell has some form of requirement before you can use it. For the Call Lightning, the following are required of you
- You must have this spell in your spell list
- You must have a level three spell slot or higher since the Spell is a level 3 spell.
- You must be able to speak so as to trigger the spell because of the verbal component
- You must be able to use your hands because of the provisions of the somatic component of the spell.
- You must be able to concentrate to that the spell will not terminate unexpectedly.
- If you are on combat, you must cast this spell as an action on your turn.
- You must choose a point in the air that you can see within a 120 ft range of you and directly above you. Centered on that point appears a 10 ft. tall cylinder storm cloud with a 60 ft. radius, and if you cannot see a point in the air that can handle the storm cloud’s size, then the spell fails. For example, this spell fails if you are in a small room.
- As the storm cloud emerges from your chosen point, you must choose another point you can see under the cloud to strike lightning with.
How does the Call Lightning spell work?
A storm cloud appears in the shape of a cylinder that is 10 feet tall with a 60-foot radius, centered on a point you can see 100 feet directly above you. The spell fails if you can’t see a point in the air where the storm cloud could appear (for example, if you are in a room that can’t accommodate the cloud). When you cast the spell, choose a point you can see within range.
A bolt of lightning flashes down from the cloud to that point. Each creature within 5 feet of that point must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 3d10 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. On each of your turns, until the spell ends, you can use your action to call down lightning in this way again, targeting the same point or a different one.
If you are outdoors in stormy conditions when you cast this spell, the spell gives you control over the existing storm instead of creating a new one. Under such conditions, the spell’s damage increases by 1d10.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher level, the damage increases by 1d10 for each slot level above 3rd.
Who can cast the Call Lightning spell?
This spell is not available to all classes as always. According to the Players handbook, the Druids are the only classes permitted to use this spell.
However, this spell is available to some sub-classes. They are the Tempest domain and the Circle of the Land emanating from the Monk and Druidic classes respectively.
Can Call Lightning be cast as a bonus action?
No, to cast the Call Lightning spell, you have to use your action.